Our vision is a wold without Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. The Alzheimer Society of B.C. exists to alleviate the personal and social consequences of Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, to promote public awareness and to search for the causes and the cures.
Volunteers are needed for the following positions:
Office Reception Volunteers (see below for detailed info) are needed for reception services in the local Penticton Resource Centre of the Alzheimer Society of B.C. Duties include greeting people who come in for information; distributing information; answering telephone calls and receiving donations from the public. Training and orientation are provided. Office hours are Monday to Thursday 10:00am to 2:00pm and volunteers are welcome to take one day or serve as back-up. Volunteers will require telephone skills; will be comfortable in the office on their own.
Co-Facilitator Volunteers are needed to assist support group facilitators who are also trained volunteers. The support groups are for family members, friends and others who play a role in providing care and support for individuals affected by Alzheimer’s and other dementias. Training and orientation are provided. Volunteers have the opportunity to meet people, learn more about dementia and related illnesses and gain insight into issues faced by those impacted. It is a challenging but rewarding experience. An application, screening and criminal record check are required.
Walk for Alzheimer’s: (see below for detailed info) The Alzheimer Society of B.C. hosts a Walk for Alzheimer’s on the first Sunday of May. This event raises funds to help support individuals and families who are impacted by Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias and to support research to find a cure. Volunteers are needed to strengthen our organizing committee for the South Okanagan/Similkameen event. We also need more volunteers on event day which involves about 3 hours the afternoon of the event. (more detail below)
DETAILS: OFFICE VOLUNTEER:
Responsibilities and Duties:-
- Greets appointments / drop-ins to the resource center identifying as ‘A Volunteer’
- Answers telephones / takes messages identifying as ‘A Volunteer’
- Optional: Checks emails coming in to the PENVOL email-box / acts on these as appropriate
- Assists with resource management (stock counting / order form completion)
- Keeps the Client Contact Log up-to-date
- Handling ‘reminder calls’ to the various support group members as requested by the staff person
- Processes incoming mail
- Processes donations and submits them to Provincial Office keeping a copy for our records
- Processes ‘Memory Clinic referrals’ / logs them / faxes them to Krista at Medical Arts
- Passes First Link referrals to the staff person
- Assists the staff person prepare for educational sessions & public presentations by resource materials packing / collating
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel are an asset but not essential
- Pleasant phone and 1-1 manner
- A basic knowledge of and experience with Alzheimer’s disease/dementia is an asset but not essential
- Identifying customer’s needs and when not able to handle their request passing them on to the staff person
Location: Penticton Resource Center (#104 – 35 Backstreet Blvd.)
Commitment Required: One year
- Staff person will provide orientation
- Viewing of dvd’s and reading of resources as able
- Reading of the Volunteer binder
Benefits to Volunteer:
- Working with a great volunteer team that keeps our Resource Center open for the posted hours of Monday – Thursday from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Providing information to people either supporting someone with dementia or personally impacted by dementia
- Helping the ASBC provide important programs and services to the public
Reports to: SEC FL (Area 330) South Okanagan / Similkameen, Alzheimer Society B.C.
DETAILS: Investors Group Walk for Alzheimer’s
Reports to: Special Events Officer
The Walk for Alzheimer’s is Canada’s biggest fundraiser for Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. It’s a fun and family friendly way to create new memories while sending a message of hope to the over 747,000 Canadians – including 70,000 British Columbians – currently living with dementia, and those who care for them. Funds raised at the Investors Group Walk for Alzheimer’s support programs and services in your community that improve the quality of life for people living with dementia and their families. The 2018 Walk will take place in communities across B.C. in May.
Join an Investors Group Walk for Alzheimer’s organizing committee
Are you passionate, motivated and organized and want to make a difference in your community? Join us as a valuable part of the Investors Group Walk for Alzheimer’s organizing committee in Penticton. As a member, you will engage with your community to make a difference in the lives of people who have been touched by dementia.
Volunteers are needed to serve on the Walk committee to help with promotion and publicity; participant and team recruitment; sponsorship, prize and refreshment solicitation; volunteer management.
Joining this committee, you will have fun, build skills and meet amazing like-minded people who are all working towards a cause. Funds raised at the Investors Group Walk for Alzheimer’s will support local programs and services and enable research. The Walk will take place on Sunday, May 5, 2019.
If interested in volunteering, please contact Abby at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mary Beth @ 250-493-8182 or email email@example.com