The Mission of the Multiple Sclerosis Society of Canada is to be a leader in finding a cure for multiple sclerosis and enabling people affected by MS to enhance their quality of life.
Would you like to make a difference and become a Friendly Visitor? We have the perfect volunteer opportunity for you. The Friendly Visiting program matches volunteers with residents living with MS in a long-term care facilities.
The purpose of the program is to improve the quality of life of isolated persons with MS living in long term care, by fostering supportive relationships between a resident and a volunteer. With your help, our goals are:
- To reduce social isolation
- To provide support, companionship and appropriate activities to residents
- To provide information about MS, the MS Society and appropriate community resources
- To increase the MS Society’s awareness of the needs/issues of individuals living in continuing care
The responsibilities of the volunteer include:
- Completing all applicable training and forms including a vulnerable sector check
- Complying with the MS Society and care centre’s policies, procedures and protocols
- Providing friendly visiting to a resident at least once per month
- Tracking activity and follow up with the program coordinator on a monthly basis or as agreed
- Communicating urgent needs and issues immediately to the program coordinator and/or the long term care centre
- Offering a one year commitment once trained and matched with a resident
For more information or to be come a Friendly Visitor, please contact Rebecca Cooke at 250-314-0773 or firstname.lastname@example.org Coordinator, Volunteer and Community Engagement | BC & Yukon Division, MS Society of Canada
mssociety.ca | Like us on Facebook