About UsLearn about this organization
The South Okanagan Similkameen Volunteer Centre is a registered non profit society and a registered charity that provides access to resources and support services for volunteers, volunteer managers and volunteer based community organizations. The Volunteer Centre provides a direct service to the community meaning that all of our programs and services are open and accessible to the public. Access to resources and support services for everyone, including, but not limited to, volunteers, volunteer managers and volunteer based community organizations are available through our Society. The Volunteer Centre plays a key role in promoting and supporting effective volunteering in our community.
Our Vision: A Community that provides the ultimate Volunteer experience.
Our Mission: The Volunteer Centre is committed to building a vibrant community by connecting people through meaningful involvement.
The South Okanagan Similkameen Volunteer Centre is a registered charity that:
• Encourages the public to volunteer, and raises awareness about volunteering.
• Provides easy access to opportunities that allows people to connect to their community through volunteering
• Helps the public find volunteer opportunities that fit their interests and needs. Youth, for example, often seek to develop skills and employability, and improve their job prospects.
• Works with community groups to improve their ability to recruit, manage, retain and appreciate volunteers.
• Collaborates with governments, community leaders and organizations to speak on behalf of volunteers and volunteering.
Board of Directors – 2016/17
Board President: Mike Potgieter, B. Comm., MBA
IT Director – Information Technology Services, KPMG Management Services LP
Vice President: Nita Khanal, B.Eng., MBA, MIB
Member Service Coordinator, Penticton and Wine Country Chamber of Commerce
Treasurer: Laura Turnbull, M. Div.
Director: Angelika Eneas, BA
Manager, South Okanagan Immigrant and Community Services
Director: Jon Szekeres
Broadcast Journalist, EZ Rock
Director: Jasmine Dhillon, B.Sc.
Director: Mark Provencal, B.A., J.D.
Community Policing Coordinator: Restorative Justice and Community Partnerships
Director: Aileen Taylor